Where in the world is . . . Corley?

sharing my travel experiences with friends and family
Click Here for My Pics

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Day 1 in KL

I am SO jet lagged right now that I can barely open my eyes...but I must share my adventures so far.

We got into Kuala Lumpur Saturday morning (KL time) and went through customs. My bag arrived (which I was praying for) but it looks like it took quite a beating. We then proceeded to the car counter. While they were checking on our reservation, Greg and I decided to get some cash. Well...apparently I didn't correctly notify Bank of America that I was traveling. Denied. No cash for Corley. Good thing Greg's bank doesn't care.

Our driver took us to our hotel. We checked in...and so far everything is great. I attempted to use my calling card...had to call Bank of America to get my debit card situation in order. Again, hoping everything is ok and I can get cash tomorrow.

Within 30 mins of checking into our rooms, the manager we are working with here in Malaysia (Murugan) called and asked if we had plans for the night. He planned on picking us up in 2 hours. In a scramble I unpacked, showered, and got ready. The travel adapters that Greg and I purchased.....don't work. But don't you worry, my hotel has a built-in hair dryer (if you can call it that) Kinda looks like a vacuum hose that blows semi-warm air. Ponytail it is.

Murugan and his wife picked us up at 5pm KL time. We headed through KL traffic and ended up at the Batu Caves. (a place worth googling) The Batu Caves is a location that Hindus go for prayer. It is also a tourist attraction. Check the pics...you can see why.

After counting 272 steps (Ok really I didn't count. Each step is painted with a number) we got to feed the monkeys. Cages...who needs cages. Apparently its ok to just let monkeys run loose among the public. These monkeys were super friendly, especially when you had peanuts in your hand. I made good friends with one monkey, we held hands and feet and then hands again. He held on tight to make sure I didn't go anywhere with his peanuts.

Once the monkeys were feed, we checked out some other parts of the caves that had Hindu religious and historic artifacts. Murugan was a great tour guide filling us in on all of the history and meaning.

We left the caves and traveled through more KL traffic. We arrived at a Chinese restaurant that had everything from frog to shark fin to things I have already removed from memory. Murugan ordered bean curd, mussels, sweet and sour pork, black pepper beef, and a veggie plate. We also had white rice and Chinese tea. All in all...very good. My favorite was the bean curd! Tofu to all you Americans.

And now its sleepy time.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Traveling Circus said...

Bones-
We have laughed so much reading your blog. I know you're having a great time. We especially liked the "No exercise" sign. Hillarious! Can't wait to read more. Have a great weekend and week.

We love you,
Ed, Cindy, Eddie, and Stephen

6:04 PM  
Blogger bilzo said...

Hmmmm. I don't find it all that surprising that you got along so well with a monkey. Just saying is all. Seriously, sounds like fun so far.

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home